ECB cancels contracts of players signed up for ‘The Hundred’

ECB cancels contracts of players signed up for 'The Hundred'

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) on Monday (May 4) has terminated contracts of the players who were set to participate in the inaugural edition of ‘The Hundred’, which was postponed until 2021 due to ongoing Covid-19 pandemic caused globally. The postponement was announced on April 30 due to coronavirus pandemic.

The new 100-balls-per-side format, to be played by eight teams in separate men’s and women’s tournaments, was scheduled to be held between July 17 and August 15.

The franchises in the men’s competition had already selected their squads in a draft in October, while the women’s teams were also in the process of completing their squads. But now with the tournament delayed, the ECB has sent a letter to the players informing them about the termination of their contracts.

Also Read: Suresh Raina explains the difference between Sachin Tendulkar and Virat Kohli

The ECB Chief Executive Tom Harrison said to BBC Sports news that “We can confirm that a letter terminating current player contracts has been issued today to all involved. This letter is necessary paperwork to legally update and inform players of the situation, which follows a notification last week around the launch of the new competition being moved to 2021.”

Further, ECB said, “We are working closely with the Professional Cricketers Association (PCA) on a number of options for players regarding next year’s launch.”

According to a report, players were due to receive 80 percent of their salaries at the end of the 2020 tournament and the contracts have been canceled via a force majeure clause written in that removes responsibility for unexpected circumstances.

In total, 570 players had put themselves up for the men’s draft of the tournament – 239 overseas stars, from every major international nation except India, and 331 domestic cricketers.

Betwinner

However, with a maximum of three overseas players per team, only 24 – just one in 10 – will be assigned to a team after throwing their names into the hat.

The 100-ball competition was postponed last Thursday (April 30) due to global travel restrictions in the wake of the highly-contagious coronavirus disease which has left more than 2 lakh dead so far worldwide and over 30 lakhs infected.

The announcement that the new limited-overs experiment will not start this season looked inevitable.

Earlier, ECB announced that no professional cricket will be played in the UK until at least July 1.

Also Read: My first memory of Rohit Sharma is the sound of his bat: Brett Lee

A number of clubs and boards have been mishit due to the suspension of sporting activities across the world due to the Covid-19. Football clubs and other teams have been furloughing staff due to the same, while some athletes are taking wage cuts to cope with the financial crisis.

Some of the deferred matches in England

  • The impending Test series between England and West Indies have been deferred.
  • The three-match Test series was scheduled to begin in June.
  • England will also lose several rounds of the incumbent County Championship season.
  • Meanwhile, the Twenty20 Blast will be also pushed to a later date.

For more updates on Sports news follow our Telegram Channel to get the notification. We also provide free Dream11 Prediction on our websites as well as in our telegram channel. Follow it and make huge money online.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get Instant Predictions 24/7

Join our Telegram channel now!